What is a Living Learning Community?
A Living Learning Community (LLC) is a residential setting designed to enhance student retention and foster academic success, creating a positive university experience. Residents in an LLC have the opportunity to collaborate and connect with peers who share similar passions and interests beyond the classroom. Being a part of our LLC, named Giving Engineering Academic Resources to Students (GEARS), comes with the added advantage of support from the institution’s faculty and resources.
GEARS: Giving Engineering Academic Resources to Students
Our dedicated Living Learning Community at Ontario Tech University, GEARS, provides a unique residence space for Engineering students, fostering collaboration between first-year and upper-year students for a diverse range of knowledge and experience.
Located at both Simcoe Village Residence (North Hall and Central Hall) and South Village Residence, the GEARS community offers numerous benefits:
- Supported by Ontario Tech University Engineering faculty
- Facilitated study sessions within the Residence
- Upper-year engineering student as your LLC Resident Advisor
- Access to a dedicated study space
- Community of peers understanding the demands of an Engineering program, providing support
- Opportunities for building lasting friendships and leadership
- Participation in fun, challenging activities and events
- Peer-assisted study sessions
- Guidance, promotion, and enhancement of first-year engineering students’ pursuit of academic excellence
Statistics from the 2018-2019 Academic Year GEARS Program:
- 80.6% of participants achieved Good Academic Standing
- 8.6% were on the President’s List, and 5.7% were on the Dean’s List